We are looking for a head instructor to lead our super amazing First Nations Youth Surf Camps this summer in Cape Breton.
We'd love to hire local.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. DEADLINE IS 5PM MAY 6. Brownie points for great referrals!
Here are the details:
Job description: First Nations Surf Camp Coordinator and Head Surf Instructor
• Multi-tasking, organizational and leadership skills
• Problem solving skills and adaptability
• Excellent communication skills
• Experience surf instructing to wide range of skill levels and abilities.
• Presentation and Facilitation skills
• Approachable, personable, and fun.
• Experienced surfer.
• Report to SANS coordinator.
• Pay is $14.50/hr for an 8 hour day.
• 8 days total: July 5, 11, 12, 19 and Aug 2, 9, 23, 30
• Travel expenses not covered
• Location: Point Michaud, Cape Breton
• Bronze Cross and Bronze Medallion
• Standard First Aid
• CPR C
• Vulnerable Sector Check
• Surf Instructor or Coach Experience
• Attend paid training session with SANS representative.
• Visit selected communities prior to first lesson, and give introduction of surf program.
• Coordinate with each community contact to maintain scheduled 8 surf lessons. (July 5, 11, 12, 19 and Aug 2,9,23, 30.)
• Share and confirm schedule with all communities and SANS representative.
• Maintain communication and reporting on an ongoing basis.
• Coordinate and communicate with First Aid Instructor.
Day of Lesson Duties:
• Condition check with assistant surf instructors, and continuous risk assessment/condition assessment.
• Organize wetsuits, boots and surfboards in size order.
• Fin, leash and wax check.
• Rinse buckets prepared then covered. Note: rinse bucket to also be continuously checked and changed throughout day.
• Communicate with lifeguards re. conditions, hand signal check
• Determine daily schedule based on conditions.
• Greet buses of youth as they arrive.
• Size/fit youth in wetsuit and booties. Remind every class every session how to put on wetsuit, where and how to remove, then instruct to put in rinse bucket after use.
• Size/fit youth with surf board and instruct to carry to beach and wait.
• Each lesson is 1.5 hours. 9-10:30 Lesson 1. 10:45-12:15 Lesson 2. 12:15-1 Lunch. 1-2:30 Lesson 3. 2:45-4:15 Lesson 4.
• Instructor expected to arrive at 8:30am. Can leave as early as 4:30 if all duties are complete. It’s an 8 hour day.